Jacques Maritain Center
American Maritain Association
The Common Things: Essays on Thomism and Education
Edited by Daniel McInerny
© Copyright 1999 by the Maritain Association
Introduction / Benedict M. Ashley, O.P.
The Private Life of the Modern Academy
1. The Public University and the Common Good / John M. Palms
2. The State of the Academy and the Hope for the Future / Herbert I. London
3. The Enlightened Mentality and Academic Freedom / Alice Ramos
4. Was Ist Aufklärung? Notes on Maritain, Rorty, and Bloom With Thanks But No Apologies to Immanuel Kant / Francis Slade
5. The Darkening of the Intellect: Four Ways of Sinning Against the Light / Donald DeMarco
6. What Happened To The Catholic University? / Curtis L. Hancock
7. The Elements of Discord: The Sine Qua Non of Education / Gregory Kerr
8. The Catholic College: At The Crossroad Or At The End Of The Road? / Robert J. McLaughlin
9. Maritain: Philosophy, The Catholic University and Truth / Robert E. Lauder
Manifesting the Common
10. On The Education of Young Men and Women / James V. Schall, S.J.
11. Studiositas, The Virtue of Attention / Gregory M. Reichberg
12. Education: Restoring the Goal of Development to the Ideal of Learning / Joseph Koterski, S.J.
13. John Poinsot: On The Gift of Counsel / Romanus Cessario, O.P.
14. Learning as Recollection -- A Thomistic Approach to Recovering Higher Education / Peter A. Redpath
15. A Humble and Trembling Movement: Creative Intuition and Maritain's Philosophy of Education / Daniel McInerny
16. Great Books Business Education / Ernest S. Pierucci
17. Arts in Conflict / Michael W. Strasser
18. The Freshmen Seminar: A History of the Western University / Walter Raubicheck
19. Education for Politics: Knowing, Responsibility. and Cultural Development / Henk E.S. Woldring
20. The Multiconfusion of Multiculturalism / Jerome Meric Pessagno
21. Latin American Democracies at the Crossroads / Mario Ramos-Reyes
22. Truth Values and Cultural Pluralism / Charles R. Dechert