Beauty, Art, and the Polis
Edited by Alice Ramos
© Copyright 2000 by the Maritain Association
PART I THE FOUNDATIONS OF BEAUTY, ART, AND CREATIVITY
- "Radiance": The Metaphysical Foundations of Maritain's Aesthetics / John G. Trapani, Jr.
- The Agent Intellect and the Energies of Intelligence / Donald Haggerty
- Form and Fluidity: The Aquinian Roots of Maritain's Doctrine of the Spiritual Preconscious / Matthew Cuddeback
- Scholastic Hylomorphism and Western Art: From the Gothic to the Baroque / Christopher M. Cullen. S.J.
- On the Ontological Priority of Ends and Its Relevance to the Narrative Arts / Francis Slade
- Beauty, Mind, and the Universe / Alice Ramos
- Dante, Aquinas, and the Roots of the Modern Aesthetization of Reality / Patrick Downey
PART II - THE ARTS, THE ARTIST, AND INTERPRETATIONS
- Art's Invaluable Uselessness / Gregory J. Kerr
- Portraits of the Artist: Joyce, Nietzsche, and Aquinas / Thomas S. Hibbs
- The Novel as Practical Wisdom / Daniel Mcinerny
- The Agony and the Ecstasy of the Annunciation in Anne Sexton's "The Fierceness of Female" / Carrie Rehak
- Music and Religion in Gilson's Philosophy of Art / Ralph Nelson
- Maritain on Music: His Debt to Cocteau / Stephen Schloesser, S.J.
- Maritain and Gilson on Painting / Desmond J. FitzGerald
- Incarnate Beauty: Maritain and the Aesthetic Experience of Contemporary Icons / Katherine Anne Osenga
PART III - ART, MORALITY, AND THE POLIS
- Dangerous Music / Wayne H. Harter
- Epiphany and Authenticity: The Aesthetic Vision of Charles Taylor / Brian J. Braman
- The Good. the Bad, and the Ugly: The Aesthetic in Moral Imagination / James P. Mesa
- Is Medicine Today Still an Art? / John F. Morris
- Art: A "Political" Good? / Jeanne M. Heffernan
- The Arts and Authority / Joseph W. Koterski, S.J.
- Social Justice as a Work of Art in Action / Henk E. S. Woldring